Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2007

REFLECTIONS OF SPRING (OH YEAH, THERE'S A PANCAKE RECIPE HERE TOO)

One of my favorite Saturday morning rituals is to slip into the kitchen, pour the coffee and then sit down, sip my strong black brew, and dream up some breakfast idea. I then return to the bed, bearing plates of food, and we eat and catch up on our TiVo offerings from the week like Grey's Anatomy. Happy times.

Those who know me realize that without coffee, I am nothing. Coffee is my holy grail, my life force, my sacred brew. I have a special connection to coffee that some would claim borders on the fringe of clinical obsession.

As I sat and sipped my coffee this morning, I found myself seeing glimpses of springtime.








I gazed deeper into my cup and enjoyed the images of spring, which is twining up and around the hills of Los Angeles.















I finally finished my coffee (okay, I poured another cup because that one was FILLED with pollen and minute floating objects when I was done) and set about fixing breakfast. You'd think that such images would inspire perhaps...

Spring omlettes with fresh spinach or leftover easter ham?

Strawberries perhaps, with creamy yogurt?

French toast with berries and fresh orange zest butter?


err...no.



I came up with Whole-Wheat Apple & Pumpkin Pancakes. The epitome of chilly autumn mornings, multi-colored maple leaves and fall harvests.

What can I say. I'm weird.

But who cares. These were GREAT!




WHOLE-WHEAT APPLE & PUMPKIN PANCAKES

3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup egg whites (I purchase by the carton--cholesterol ya know)

1 TBS canola oil
1 large granny smith apple, shredded (about one cup)
2 cups fat-free milk
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 TBS sugar (heaping)


In a medium-size bowl, combine pumpkin, egg whites, canola oil, shredded apple, and milk. In a large bowl, mix remaining dry ingredients well. Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients and whisk together until blended. Add a touch more milk if batter is too thick.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle (or large skillet) over medium heat. Spoon roughly 1/4 cup of batter on griddle. Cook pancakes until edges begin to brown and bubbles form on top. Use a wide spatula to flip pancakes over and cook until bottom is golden and pancakes are done in center, about two to three minutes. Serve hot with melted butter, syrup, or as I do...with my fingers and nothing else!

8 comments:

mooncrazy said...

It's like a crystal ball looking into my future. aaachoooo!

david said...

whatever coffee yer brewin' over there looks kinda weird. I wouldn't drink it, if I were you.

s'kat said...

Dude... I thought seeing flowers in my cuppa was purely the result of living with a horticulturist! Glad to see I'm not the only one.

The pancakes look just the right speed.

Bad Home Cook said...

I bet you had SO much fun walking your turquoise coffee cup around the veranda for all those cool shots....

Lis said...

The pancakes sound dreamy - any time of the year.

I am glad to know you poured the first cup out.. ha!

keiko said...

Dear Kevin - without coffee, I'm nothing too. I love the reflection series - so beautiful. Could you do that again when summer arrives? :)

matt said...

will you PLEEEEEEEASE make these for me? NAME YOUR PRICE.

KT said...

Love the art project. If I had a gallery, I'd show it.

Plus, I don't think breakfast is seasonal. Breakfast can always be warm and cozy. Especially breakfast in bed!