Pages

Thursday, April 05, 2007

HERE'S A "SCOOP" - ORDER IT FROM AMAZON !!!

If I were to be a cookbook author, I'd want to be David Lebovitz. I did some catching up on errands today after I left my office and one item on the list was a copy of "The Perfect Scoop". I stopped at Borders Bookstore and found they were out. I decided to cruise down Ventura Boulevard to make a second stop in Studio City at Barnes & Noble.

I found the sprawling cookbook section. I was slowly moving down the aisle with my head tilted in that uncomfortable but necessary angle needed to read the titles down the spines of the book. You know the maneuver. Your ears align vertically and you slowly crab-walk sideways down the aisle while your eyes scan up and down and up and down the spines. If you are doing any heavy-duty book perusing you feel it in your neck and shoulder the next day. You wake up and wonder why you slept so funny and then you remember, "oh yeah, book shopping."

I passed Ina Garten and soon came to the "L's." There was a sizeable cave in the shelf where "Lebovitz" should have been. I crawled inside to make sure a stray copy hadn't been inadvertently pushed behind another author. Nothing. I had to move out of the way to let a woman pass who was also investigating the inner recesses of the shelf for signs of David. She emerged from the empty black depths, removed her spelunking hat, turned off its headlamp and slowly shook her head. Just next door, Sandra Lee's literary real estate was overflowing with books. Lots of copies. Like, maybe, every single copy the bookstore had ever unpacked. She was trying to elbow her way into his alloted space as though she wanted to erase the memory of her sold-out neighbor. Poor Sandra sits there on the shelf like the last kid waiting to be selected for the dodge ball team. You know the guy, the dorky kid with no coordination who's terrified of balls being thrown at his face at high velocity.

Oh damn. I think that kid was me.

I'm really into instant gratification so I had originally chose not to order the book through Amazon. However, it seems that a few extra days, plus shipping fees, is necessary to get my fix of his new ice cream recipes. Matt sampled seven recipes from the book on his first weekend and may possibly have worked his way from cover to cover by now. I guess I should shop at his store.

Some things are just worth waiting for. I need to have Mr. UPS man come back with a copy of "The Perfect Scoop." I just sent him away...





...AFTER HE DELIVERED MY NEW ALL-CLAD!!! For those of you have been asking, yes, it arrived (three months later) and yes, for the absurdly low price (about one-third of the normal cost). I think Bloomingdale's screwed up but honored the offer on their website.

Ed will be so happy to wash prettier cookware. He's a lucky man.

9 comments:

christine (myplateoryours) said...

Love the photo of you in the All-Clad taking it's picture. Glad it finally arrived. I went to Amazon yesterday ot orderthe Perfect Scoop and got sidetracked (that happens browsing in Amazon just like in a real bookstore, but I get to keep my head upright. No nagging neck pain afterward, but I don't have what I came for either.)

matt said...

Adam is very jealous and I fear will be begging for new All Clad thanks to this post. Damnit.

By the way, I'm drooooooooling too.

Rachael said...

Cute, cute and double cute.

christianne said...

That photo is adorable! Ed is a lucky man! :)

Doodles said...

Did we know in advance that Mr David had his book coming out cause we woulda preordered it on Amazon...dang now I have to wait. You are purty cute in your All Clad!

mooncrazy said...

This should be your holiday card this year.

s'kat said...

That's a sweet, sweet set. Lucky you!

Lis said...

Yay! You finally got it.. how cool =) Terrific picture too!

xoxo

Vivian Starfire said...

Mt copy of the Perfect scoop was delivered (I got it from Amazon) on April 30th., since then I have made twenty three batches. Some like the toasted almond candied cherry I made three times. Next up is the rice gelato. I wish David had a section in the book on working off the calories.