Pages

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

WASABI CRUSTED CHICKEN BREASTS STUFFED WITH APPLES, HONEY AND CURRY


*Sung to the tune of "My Favorite Things"

Crispy chicken breasts stuffed with lovely basil
Also some apricots brought to the table
Add tart goat cheese to make your taste buds sing
These were a few of my favorite things...


...the other night at Mark's restaurant on La Cienega! I ordered a chicken breast stuffed with sweet apricots, fragrant basil and goat cheese. Although the chicken was a tad over-cooked, the flavors were wonderful. The sweetness of the apricots played off the tart goat cheese really well and fueled a desire in me to make a similar sweet/savory dish at home. Since Ed thinks that apricots are vile fruits picked from the Devil's orchard, I discarded that flavor palette and created something completely different.

It began as I was stuck on the 101 freeway on the way home, listening to Gwen Stefani sing "Wind it Up" and I found myself wanting a cup of Swiss Miss hot cocoa and a trip to Austria. I shook off that creepy feeling and popped in the Mikado. Inspiration struck to create a meal with an Asian flavor. I've wanted to experiment using crushed wasabi peas as a breading and here was the perfect opportunity to try it.

We both devoured the resulting dish and I'm quite sure I'll be making this one again and again. It's another one for the "keeper" file.

WASABI CRUSTED CHICKEN BREASTS STUFFED WITH APPLES, CURRY AND HONEY
1 tart green apple, chopped fine
1/4 sweet yellow onion, chopped fine
non-stick oil spray (canola or olive)
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 apple cider
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp honey
salt & pepper to taste

1/2 cup wasabi peas (from good ole Trader Joes)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Spray skillet with non-stick spray and add apple and onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add sesame oil, apple cider and curry and continue cooking until liquid is absorbed and apple and onion are tender. Remove from heat and stir in honey and salt & pepper. Let cool slightly.

Place wasabi peas in plastic bag, or food processor, and crush into crumbs. Place into shallow bowl.

Wash, pat dry chicken breasts and pound with meat mallet to flatten into 1/2 inch cutlets. Spread half of apple mixture on each chicken breast and roll up, jelly roll style. Spray rolled chicken breasts with oil and roll into crushed wasabi peas. Place in lightly greased dish and bake at 425 for 18-20 minutes or until chicken is just cooked.

I served these over green tea noodles that I sauteed with sliced bok choy, snow peas and julienned carrots.

4 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I bet this would be better if you sauted the apple/onion in butter ;)

Tana said...

When I used to cater ("Beauty and the Feast"), one of my go-to recipes for a fabulous hors d'oeuvre was dried apricots with goat cheese and basil. (A fresh basil leaf, cut into a chevron.)

The flavors combine into something that transcends the individual components, and they are also very colorful and pretty.

Try it.

Lis said...

Sounds fabulous.. and zingy! I love the sweet/savory combo. Uhmm.. why isn't it green? Aren't wasabi peas green? :D
xoxo

christianne said...

That sounds delicious! I will definitely have to try that very soon!